A 40 Year "Retrospective Journey"


“Be good, keep your feet dry,
your eyes open, your heart at peace
and your soul in the joy of Christ.”
Thomas Merton

December 3, 2008

Kandy - Colombo

December 3, 1968
"The mountains are all buried in rain-mist. The valleys are full of it..."


Merton takes the "Kandy Express" back to Colombo and the coast. A piece of his poetry from this day...

Rattling down the mountain
the Kandy Express sings
Tsongkapa, Tsongkapa, Tsongkapa
Praise of Yellow Hats.
Mirigama East.
Pink orchids among coconuts.
Veyangoda.

That which grew slowly toward me on Friday
Flies rapidly away from me Tuesday.
I have seen that buffalo before
I have seen that boy before.

No man twice crosses the same river.

I have seen that felled coconut trunk before.

We rush blindly
In a Runaway train Through great estates
Headlong to the sea...
AJTM p.227

____________________________

Peace and blessings... Rob

"Wisdom can be found traveling." Sri Lankan Proverb


No comments: